Friday, September 2, 2011

Project #1 - Getting a piano

Date: July 2010
Location: Virgin Store, Dubai, UAE
Status: Complete


Background:
I have always wanted to play the piano since I was a child. Everytime I hear a piano being played, it never fail to amaze me. Rich in melody, talented pianists, I was inspired.

Back in the days, a piano was not particularly affordable. To own it, was beyond our means, and to learn it, the already hefty fee will just go higher by the grade. It is just not right, considering that most likely I will not be a serious musician and virtually no returns on investment.

We did however, have an organ which belonged to my sister. It was definitely the next best thing to learn. Following my sister's footsteps, I signed up for my first class (which is by the way much cheaper than piano lessons). Being only 7 years old, discipline was a problem. I quit after a few months. With that basic and limited knowledge I had, I continued on my own at my own pace. And, I learned songs from the books my sister left behind.

After all those years, I am still inspired to learn the piano. And yet, it was still out of reach. Priorities and commitments did not permit me to make that investment just yet until recently. It was around mid last year, we were at the Virgin Store in Dubai. We saw a few pianos on display. I admit that I have limited knowledge on the range but I do know that some electronic pianos have keys that are more like keyboards and others give a similar feel to that of a piano. Having just that in mind, I decided on the Yamaha Clavinova CLP 330. Though I did not make any comparisons vis-a-vis other series or piano makers, I am very happy with that purchase. I did however make cost comparisons between the colour choices, and as it turns out I get to save around 2k if choose rosewood as opposed to the black lacquer finish.

Now that I have realised an old wish to own a piano, I can now proceed to realising that old passion.
I intend to document all my past and current efforts in learning songs that I am inspired to play. I will try my best to provide weekly updates and progress for own motivation and hopefully to inspire others to do what they love to do, one step at a time.



2 comments: